Saturday, April 12, 2014

April 12, 2014

I've got pneumonia.  Again.  I've lost track of how many times I've had pneumonia, but it has to be close to double digits.  But, this is the worst I've had it since the first time I had it in 1991.

I was working at DC101 the first time I had it.  I knew I was sick, but just figured I'd get better.  At that point in my life, I was pretty much bullet-proof, or so I thought.  I'd never been sick, never missed a day of school or work and just kept pushing forward.  Until...

I was walking down the hall to the on-air studio to do my show and collapsed.  Down. Out.  Ended up being in the hospital for over a week, the doctors telling me later that I could have easily died.  So much for being bullet-proof.  I vowed then, like I've vowed a million time since to take better care of myself.  And sometimes I do...but most times I don't. 

Since my promotion to Director of Economic Development in August, I've been pushing too hard.  I've gained 20 pounds, hardly make it to the gym, rarely get a good nights sleep.  The result, I've been unable to work for over a week and still feel awful. 

Sometimes you need a wake-up call and a reminder to do the right thing.  Let's hope I'm able to head the warning this time.